Thursday, May 7, 2009

You Know What They Say About Big Arms...

1.We watched this movie last weekend on DVD (yay, piracy!). The story was so-so, but the arms were fantastic! I had forgotten how much I like big arms, but it all came rushing back to me. People sometimes ask me what I miss about my home culture; here's a new thing to add to the list: BIG ARMS. (And Nacho Cheese Doritos. We talked about them while watching the movie, now I can't stop thinking about them.)

2. Not sure if it's the clothes, the cool dance moves, or the surprise twist ending, but this video cracks me up every time I see it:


3. My body has apparently given up on sleeping. I wake up around 3 or 4 AM and can't get back to sleep. This morning it was 5 AM, yay for extra sleep!  But still far short of what I think is good for me. Anyone have any drug-free insomnia cures?

Happy Friday everyone!

8 comments:

  1. You had me cracking up with the Big Arms...I guess that are a really nice distraction and can be missed when you dont see the around..I feel your pain :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like some big arms here too...but not with claw daggers. ;0
    Love that video, I have never seen it. SO cool.
    Sleeping problems? I have never had them. A glass of wine does me in.
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! I like big arms on those guys. On us? Not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have sleeping problems in China too. My Mom is sending me some Tylenol PM since it's non-habit forming.

    I can think of a few good sleeping aids: wine, pills, meditation before bed, good dietary habits (e.g., no sugar right before bed, try to eat healthy throughout the day), a good amount of exercise, a healthy bedtime routine (e.g., prepare your body to go to bed), only use your bed for sleep and don't do work in it. And if the problem is noise, earplugs or a white noise maker could work. :)

    I think my lack of sleep is not only due to the excessive loudness that is China (there is construction right behind our apartment), but also due to stress and poor diet and exercise. My body is used to running everyday. In Bijie, we don't have any indoor places to run so if it rains (which is most of the time), I'm kinda stuck. And I don't like Chinese food (since it's all meat), so I'm forced to eat the same things every day. Not to mention most of it is fried.

    Anyway, how are you watching videos? Youtube still doesn't work and I can't see the videos you post. What's your secret??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rebecca! I like how you designed your blog too!

    It was good to read about your experiences since you first arrived. I'm sure I'll also face many challenging and fun experiences like you.

    Anyways, I'm still not sure where I want to be in China, so I think I'll leave it up to the staff to decide.

    See you in a few weeks!

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video was the best thing of my day! It's flippin' brilliant :-D

    Ugh, insomnia... whiskey?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the sleep advice, guys. Jenn, I think you are right on the money. I realize now, I need to fix my head, not cover up the symptoms. Time to pull out my zen journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video is all sorts of awesome. Ha ha! Love the new blog layout.

    ReplyDelete