Saturday, May 16, 2009

Rice Etiquette

Before I came to China, I didn't know there was an etiquette to eating rice. Here's what I've learned:

1. Rice is considered a cheap filler food, sort of the culinary equivalent of Saltine crackers. If you have high quality, filling food, there is no need for rice. Most small restaurants that serve cheaper food will give you rice to eat with your meal at no extra charge if you ask for it, but they usually don't bring it to you automatically. Because these restaurants are the social equivalent of fast food, it's no big deal to ask for some rice.

2. At banquets and nicer restaurants, they'll offer you rice at the end of your meal if you're still hungry. If you're paying for your own meal, it's okay to have some with no second thoughts. If someone has hosted you, it could be considered rude to ask for rice, because it means your host did not buy enough good food for you. It depends on your relationship with the person whether you should ask for rice. Sometimes your host will ask for it on your behalf and it's okay to eat some, but if you're eating a lot of it, probably not a good thing. I always decline it if I am being hosted. Besides, A LOT of food is served at banquets, there usually is no need for rice!

3. Rice is commonly served in people's homes, but I would never ask for it if it isn't readily available. It's like eating a nice meal and then asking your host for crackers because you are still hungry. A bit uncouth. If necessary, I just eat more when I get home.

Many everyday Chinese foods are not eaten with rice, such as dim sum, street BBQ, noodles and dumplings. In my neighborhood, there are far more fresh noodle, dim sum and street BBQ stands than there are restaurants serving what we call "dishes," that is, food you can eat with rice. (If you'll notice the picture I posted recently of my lunch, there was no rice on the table.) And if you do eat rice, it is very polite to put some in your neighbor's bowl before serving yourself. This is how things are in my part of China, it might vary in different regions.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I love Rice. Brown is wonderful and we just started eating the basmati indian rice. SO funny that I have to "clean" the rice first, because there are bugs in there. Dead of course.
    Love your header...are you doing all of this yourself???
    Jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...who knew? I love rice...so I would have gotten it all wrong. I love rice over bread anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bit o'culture just gets more and more fascinating - I never would have given a second thought so such practices, how interesting!

    More, more please!

    Um, posts not rice! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE your blog and these random tid-bits of information? Well...I do. :)

    ReplyDelete