Monday, May 4, 2009

Off Target

Today I did a mock shopping activity with my students. I gave them a Target weekly ad and a stack of American play money, along with instructions to work in pairs to "buy" things together from the ad and see who could come the closest to spending all their money without going over.

But as I walked around checking their progress, I noticed a couple of pairs with money sitting unused on the desk. They were still talking about the items, but not "buying" any. I asked them why, and they said, "We already bought some stuff, we don't anything else."  What? Shopping at Target and buying only what you need?  Huh. Never occurred to me. I mean, give me $1,000 and a Target, I'm done in 15 minutes flat. I have to work to spend less than $50 everytime I walk through the doors. But here? You buy what you need and save the rest.


It's just one example of the mistakes I make assuming my students are going to react the way Western students would react. Some of the boys bought electronics and used up all their money, but many of the girls spent about 1/4 of their money and 'finished' the shopping portion of the game. Lesson learned. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Target, how I miss you! Interesting activity! :)

    I thought of three possible reasons why they didn't spend all their money:
    1. The items were not things they tend to use in their everyday lives in China and therefore weren't things they wanted to buy.
    2. They were being lazy.
    3. They were being frugal.

    I'd be interested to see what would happen if you gave them a Chinese store flyer and asked them to do the same thing.

    I'm also curious whether my students, most of whom are from the countryside, would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not sure either what would happen if it were a Chinese flyer. The ads were for clothes, food, sporting equipment and electronics, I deleted the housewares etc. Pretty sure they weren't being lazy, since they were still discussing the items in English, just not counting them towards their total. I ended up telling them they could give their money to other groups if they wanted.

    Quite honestly, it didn't really matter in the end, as long as they were speaking English. :) But yeah, it was interesting. Perhaps a combo of 1 and 3?

    It's nice to hear what other teachers are doing, if you try this, let me know what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something to be said about not buying too much...hence the reason so many people are in debt!!
    Speaking of Target...that is where I am headed today. I will TRY to stick to my list...but that never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, having self control with free money and Target sales are a hard one for me to handle. I always go in thinking I have to spend my certain allotment and never once think about saving back. Your students have taught me a new way to 'consider' thinking..but old habits do die hard *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd so whip out the Monopoly game and have a blast winning by a mile! LOL!

    I'm so mean :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I know, I'm not so sure -- China still seems to be a "savings" culture, rather then a consumer society.

    Monopoly's about investing, they'd probably do well. It's not like Monopoly gives you the option of whether to buy a fur coat or a house to rent out Connecticut Avenue. Or to buy a beach house.

    I really think the biggest factor in the U.S. post WWII boom was very large levels of savings built up from, oh, 1935 through 1945. It was a radical turn around from 1928 when we hit the highest ratio of consumer debt:GDP in our history, errr, until we matched it in 2007.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy Bee, It's Just Me, I remember feeling triumphant when I left Target and only spent $10 or so. It was so rare...and I am jealous of your trip!

    Techno, you would kick some major heiny!

    Matt, I think you are right. The interesting thing to me is that they were still TALKING about the items, and admiring them, just not buying them. It still kinda blows my mind. Such a different mind set.

    ReplyDelete