Saturday, May 30, 2009

"You Keep Using That Word. I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"

It was Dragon Boat Festival here this week, so I had a few days off from school. (Most Chinese holidays last a minimum of three days. I know!) To celebrate, we climbed a mountain just outside of town, then took a very scary ski-lift type contraption back down to the bottom. Inside the little two-person car was one of the best Chinglish signs* I've seen yet: "No Smoking or Gambolling or Swagging."

Swagging?  Did they mean swinging? Snogging? Swapping? I really want to know what they meant!

Also, who gambles whilst going down a mountain inside a tiny tram car? The mysteries of China are never-ending.

*dead camera batteries, so no pic. Argh!

7 comments:

  1. SWAG = Stuff we all get. It goes right along with the "no gambolling" (I love that spelling, by the way).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I should laugh but that was funny. What exactly happens in that tram???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PRINCESS BRIDE!~ Someone just quoted that same line to me this morning LOL! I think we like the same kind of movies.

    Three-day holidays? The US has got to follow this type of celebration! How fun would that be?

    When the camera batteries fail, thats when you break out the cell phone camera :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he. No gambolling on when the contraption wires break and you all go tumbling down the mountain, swagging and smoking :-D

    I love your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inconceivable! :)

    Ah, I love Chinglish... and The Princess Bride even more. I picture old men smoking and playing MahJong while in the little tram... you know it could happen!!!

    Maybe "Swagging" means "Swaying"? It's a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha. That's a great pop-culture reference.

    I wonder if they meant shagging... That could probably happen.

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for other Princess Bride fans!

    I think they probably did mean swaying, it was a tiny little car, I can't imagine what else people would be doing in there! The gambling thing though...I just have no idea.

    ReplyDelete