Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Enjoy Being A Girl

(*Post title comes from the musical The Flower Drum SongYou can watch it here.)

One thing I love about China: women often wear skirts and dresses, and generally dress more formally than in the U.S.  I love wearing dresses and skirts, so I fit in well here in this respect. Our Peace Corps packing list said to bring lots of pants (which is ridiculous advice for China, it's freaking hot here!), but luckily I packed a lot of skirts as well. (Overall our packing list pretty much sucked, but that is another story.) Women will even wear high heels when exercising, believe it or not. It floors me to see a woman on the track in dress shoes! Ouch! I don't know how they stand it.

People here are very humble and don't worry about matching their clothes to each other, or to their shoes. It's very liberating!  You can wear whatever you want and no one blinks an eye. I've put on some pretty awful outfits and I loved that I didn't feel self-conscious in them. I've learned that the rule here seems to be: wear your best shirt, best skirt/pants, best pair of shoes, and who cares if they match. As long as they are your best, you're good.

My students will often come to school in pretty dresses and/or fancy, fancy shoes. Here is how two of my students came to school today:

This is Lindsey. I love her, she is always smiling. She's from near Shanghai, so she tells me about life in her part of China. She struggles out here sometimes in the less-developed West. No matter how fancy her dress, she always wears tennis shoes. Smart girl!

This is Jenny. She is very shy, but a very sweet girl. She loves wearing dresses to school. You can't see her shoes well, but they are all silver sparkly. Btw, she took her glasses off before I took this picture; girls are the same all over the world!

6 comments:

  1. They're such cute girls! Love their dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I have often wondered about seeing people who don't match ONE bit...they are usually Asian. Funny. I suppose it would be liberating.
    I should wear more dresses, skirts too...cause it is already in the
    90's here.
    Working out in high heels??? OMG. I bet your Mom would appreciate that..right?
    That video was really cute...didn't the woman look just like Catherine Zeta Jones??? funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two girls have the best smiles! They seem kind and down to earth...and they have great taste in dresses.

    Your post makes me want to go dress shopping!! Wanna join me for a girl's day out at the mall??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think for once, I would fit right in... the funkier the outfit (as long as it's comfy), the better!

    Can we see you all dressed up? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh they're so cute, they remind me of a former employee, she had red shoes that she wore when there was something special after work, we always bugged her about her shiny red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your students are adorable... love the dresses!! Some of my students wear flowery dresses too, but probably not as many as you have in the city! Most of my students wear track suits or jeans.

    I think the teachers are way more dressy here than the students are. Some of them have really nice clothing. I, on the other hand, look like a deformed elephant since my clothes has been stretched out in weird ways due to lack of dryer! :)

    ReplyDelete