Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If You Think Your Cell Phone Company Is Ripping You Off, They Probably Are

Cell phone service in China is a dream come true. So easy!  So cheap!  I have a hard time believing cell phone service in America/Canada needs to be as expensive and complicated as it is.

Here you simply buy a cell phone (in Mandarin: 'hand machine'), any brand, any model. Then, visit a mobile company kiosk to buy a SIM card. (I use China Mobile.) The SIM card costs about $7.00 and includes your phone number and about 2 months worth of service. You pop it into your phone, and you're done. If you want a new phone, you just put your SIM card into your new phone. No hassle, no contracts, no going to the cell phone store to have it changed for you. I dread going back to America and dealing with locked phones.

My monthly cell phone charge is about $3.00. This week I added internet access to my cell phone; it costs 70 cents a month. 70 cents! Suck it, Verizon.

P.S., I did the shopping activity again today with a different class. One of the groups raised their hand and said they were out of money, could they have more? Ha! So I guess yesterday's class was maybe being modest?

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading something about Canada having the high cell phone rates in the world. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to sue my cell phone company!! LOL. I am amazed at that price. Unbelievable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha about your class needing more money...I would have been in THAT class.

    Also, my last job was with a cell company. Since my severance benefits ended, I am now having to pay for service and its sucks...I wish I could find cheaper service. I think I will go to Verizon..but would love a $7 bill :))

    ReplyDelete