Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Romantic Dreams: When Its All In Your Head

This has nothing to do with China, but I always wonder how my brain can be such a partier when I'm asleep, yet so practical when I'm awake. What's up with that, brain?

I had a dream last night I was in a romantic relationship with a guy that in real life I've had exactly one conversation with and didn't feel any sort of romantic feelings for. He's cute, fun, blah blah blah but decidedly unremarkable to me. He just didn't push any of my buttons. Or so I thought. Evidently my subconscious thinks we are MFEO. Why does my brain conjure up romantic feelings for someone I don't think about in my waking life, and bypass men I actually DO pine over? How about a nice romantic dream with one of them, brain? Is that too much to ask? And isn't it a little scary that our brains can so perfectly replicate feelings of romance and longing for someone we have no conscious feelings for? Are feelings even real?

I also think it's weird when I dream that I'm smoking, and that I like it. I've never smoked anything, how can my brain replicate those feelings? Am I a replicant and no one's told me? (Little Blade Runner joke there.)

When I see this guy again, I'm going to feel really weird. We had a dream romance! Am I the only one this happens to?

8 comments:

  1. *Sigh* No you are not the only person this happens to. I often dream date and then when faced with the boy in person am flustered because in my dreams we made out but in real life we haven't ;) I think its like an episode of Friends where Phoebe is mad at Ross for something he did to her in a dream she had LOL Dream fights are great too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams...they are a powerful tool...you should find out what they 'could' mean....

    PS: stop eating late at night before you sleep, it may change your dreams a big

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's happened to me too, had a romantic dream about someone that never occurred to me.

    Bizarre how the brain works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a history of this. Really, it is freaky. Do you know who Mike Ditka is? He used to be the Chicago bears coach YEARS ago...I don't even like football, but about 8 years I had a dream I was married to him. WTF?????
    The crazy thing....last year I SAW HIM AT THE GROCERY STORE. All those old feelings came back. NOT.
    I wish I had an answer as to what our sub conscience is doing while we are sleeping...it would be nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once had a hot and steamy shower dream about a boss where I used to work. I never felt any kind of connection to him at all, good or bad. And I forgot all about the dream until I crossed him in the hallway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, happens to me all the time. Sometimes about really gross people. Yuck...but funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah! I've also dreamt more than once that I'm smoking and it's cool, while in real life I've never smoked a cigarette in my life (they're sooo gross)!

    Wonder why that happens...

    And the dreams thing? Yeah. Just neurons misfiring, doesn't always mean something.

    But definitely more pleasant to dream about Clive Owen than about the pimply nerd that serves you coffee in the shop around the corner, eh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phew, glad it's not just me!

    All of your stories cracked me up. We could write a book!

    My neurons must have a silly sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete