Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life On The D-List*

Last week Tristan made an astute observation: "In China, we're like D-list celebrities." It's true: people don't know our names, but they recognize us and want to know what we're doing, buying and eating. And they want to be our friend. (I think Tristan said this because some kids came to our table during dinner to stare/talk to us while we were eating; he's a tall, muscular, tough-looking guy who shaves his head. I love watching people spot him on the sidewalk, then get out of the way.) People treat us like we're living in our own little reality show, and they want to be a part of it. This isn't a bad thing, but after over a year here, I am still not comfortable with being treated differently. However, it does make for some interesting and/or unusual interactions.

For example, this past week, I got a random call from a girl I didn't remember but evidently sat next to on the bus going to school. People here are always asking for our phone numbers, and I used to be hesitant about giving it out, but then I realized they don't really call you, they just want a foreigner's phone number in their cell phone. But this girl did call, and asked me to meet her for lunch. I jokingly called it my first Chinese blind date, because I didn't remember her at all! Turns out she's an accounting major at my school and has to take a Business English certificate exam in November; she wants to practice her English conversations skills so she has a better chance of passing the exam, and in turn getting a better job. I'm glad to help her out because helping students is the main reason I'm here in the Peace Corps. And I am especially mindful of helping the girls, who have historically faced disadvantages.

So, living life on the D-list isn't comfortable for me, and I doubt it ever will be, but if it allows me opportunities to help people out, I can't complain. But I still look forward to anonymity when I return to the U.S.!

In other news, I have back-to-back holidays this week and next: National Day (October 1st, celebrating the founding of the People's Republic of China under the Chinese Communist Party, and Mid-Autumn Festival, a harvest and family reunion holiday. I have 3 days off from school for each holiday, so I don't have to go back to school until next Friday, Oct. 9th. I'll be doing some fun things around the city on my days off. Hope you all have a great weekend!

*Stolen from the title of Kathy Griffin's reality series.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh. Due to my job I know ALLLLL about your little 8 day holiday, most of my clients have done a humungous panic about it. China off 8 straight days. Man. Who knew? These are the people that work on Saturday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. BBS, I'll take some pics, I have some ideas I hope are interesting.

    Myself, I didn't even think about how this break affects international business. D'oh! Usually they aren't together, but the lunar calendar this year was in our favor. Or against it, depending how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I be part of your reality show when you come home?? We can have a fun one at Lagoon. Imagine it with all the cousins. That would be for good watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine what it's like for you, but I can picture it getting on your nerves after a while.

    I'm sure you're going to welcome the break. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so odd that strangers ask for your cell number. I would be hesitant too! But it has to be even a bit nice that people give you positive attention. Trust, I have been on the end of negative notice all my life - its not fun.

    Oh, and I think its great that you are helping others with their English skills...I like helping people too.I think it is awesome what you are doing there period!

    ReplyDelete