Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Understanding Paths

In Chinese, the verb 'to know' as in 'understand and be aware of' is made up of two characters, 'know' and 'way' .* So in Chinese, understanding is not just knowing, it's knowing the way, or path, to take. I think this is a really beautiful sentiment, as well as a very wise one. I like the idea that a part of understanding is taking action. Understanding motivates action, and hopefully, the right action for you. 


I'm trying to understand my 'calling' in life, my relationships, and my professional and personal goals. Maybe I don't need to be so hard on myself, that I don't understand it all easily. I'm still moving forward, which shows some level of understanding. Thanks, China, for this lesson.


*is also the character for Taoism, or 'The Way'

8 comments:

  1. Wow that was really insightful. Good luck with your journey. Thanks for letting us share your path so far through the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that.

    Sometimes, reading you, I feel like such a small new leaf, looking for your light :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trick is to keep moving while we learn and gain wisdom. Sounds like you're doing just that, Chica! Sounds like China has been a blessing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you girl. Our paths seem to be crossing, even if only seeking out which path to take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right on girl! I love this post. You are wonderful! xoxo-cristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. While coming to understand your path is very important, in Taoist thought, it should spur you to practice wu wei, that is "action by non-action" or "doing without doing".

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH the goal is always not to be so hard on ourselves! We really are our own worst critics:)

    ReplyDelete