Thursday, September 3, 2009

Unexpected Consequences: Chinese Foot Atrophy

I love high-heeled shoes. HIGH-heeled shoes. In the U.S. I quite regularly tottled around on 4-inchers:


I brought three pair of 4-inch heels to China because HAHA I thought I'd wear them. But I have to walk miles everyday to get everywhere I need to go, and sidewalks in my part of China look like this:


So, the pretty shoes have been in the back of the closet for most of the past year, but I pulled them out today because I have a party to attend this weekend and want to wear the awesome 4-inch silver strappy sandals and HOLY FEET ATROPHY, BATMAN!  I made it about a quarter of a mile and had to come back home to change shoes. I guess constantly wearing high-heeled shoes is like yoga for the feet? And when you stop bending like that, your muscles forget how? I'm so feet-ashamed, I've turned into a frumpy shoe wearer for the sake of comfort and safety!  This is not really who I am! So, starting today, I have a high-heeled shoe regimen in the safety and comfort of my own home: I'll be tottling around the house every day in 4-inch shoes, until I'm limber enough to venture back out in public.

I hope this is the most shallow thing I've ever posted.

14 comments:

  1. Makes perfect sense to me! Got to keep those feet in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we were in china it seemed the natives wore them a lot (this was in hangzhou)... so don't break an ankle or anything, but it can be done. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. baahahhaha I'm laughing with you.

    And it's totally a practise thing. I have 4 inchers that I wear all the time, but if I go a month without....oh my, it's like I can't walk anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so sorry. I LOVE shoes too. But I cant walk very far in them either. I have been reduced to frumpy feet as well. Nothing over 3 inches for me, but I walk to work in kitten heels...only because of comfort. Hang in there girlie...perhaps carry your heels and wear ballerina slippers, then before you go in, take them off and put them in your purse and slip on the 5 inchers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cracks me up. Work those feet back into your shoes. I will forever envy you wearing those.
    I have bad feet...my arches fell years ago and I have to wear only certain types of sandals or sneakers with special orthotics in them. they are horrid. I love pretty shoes and can't wear them.
    ENJOY THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, feet are NOT meant to be stretched and bent and tortured with towering heels... it causes all sorts of knee and back problems, twisted ankles, yadi yada...

    OK I'm just horrendously jealous that I can't wear stilettos, booo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, that's about the funniest post I've ever read. You crack me up. When you get back, we'll have a high-heel party and you and Kel can break a leg together.

    Yep, shallow. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heels are so much more sexy, but when we're not used to them, LOOK OUT! They could KILL you!

    Have fun breaking them in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That made me chuckle. Based on some of the pics you posted of where you live, I couldnt imagine anyone wearing anything other than flats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girls in in china climb mountains in high heels, it's incredible. They are the masters of the high-heeled universe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beneficial info and excellent design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Great work!

    ReplyDelete