Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Heat, Hair, and Frosting Love

1. This week it's been 107 degrees daily in Chongqing. I thought I was used to heat from living in San Antonio, but it turns out I am also used to copious amounts of air conditioning to make the heat bearable. Walking is much less fun that driving in an air conditioned car in this heat! But least until Sunday, we are living in an oven. (I tried using that metaphor with a student, and they didn't quite get it. No ovens here. Oops.) As one of my students told me, "Have a great week, in spite of the intolerable weather!" On the bright side, classes have been cancelled for the rest of the week because school buildings are not air conditioned.

2. I had my hair cut into a chin-length A-line bob. I cried the last time I got my hair cut here, the guy cut a bunch of layers into it that might look good on super straight, super fine Chinese hair, but not on mine! This new guy seemed to understand Western hair and gave me a beautiful cut. I wanted to kiss him on the mouth when he was done. It's kind of short, but those hideous layers are gone! Yay!

3. Last Christmas someone gave me a thing of Betty Crocker chocolate frosting, and I never opened it. Not sure what I was waiting for, but today I decided that time was over and now...I can't stop eating frosting! I'm even eating it with just a butter knife, how gross is that? (Because a spoon would be too deliberate? But a knife is just a taste? I'm retarded.) To my poor little sugar and lard deprived taste buds, it's heavenly.

So this week I am basically just sitting around in my apartment with my short hair and very little clothing, blasting the air conditioning, eating frosting with a knife. Oh, and texting a lot because it's too hot to actually go see friends. Welcome to my exciting life in China. Don't you wish you were here?

7 comments:

  1. 117? I am so happy you have a/c in your place. and frosting. Imagine what that frosting would be like with no a/c????
    Your haircut sounds amazing...nothing better than having someone cut it when they know what they are doing!!

    Oh, and not jealous of your life in china...well, this week anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um... wow! the frosting hasn't melted into gooey caramel yet? LOL

    enjoy the heat - barely survived our three weeks, i don't know how you do it!!

    ice cubes on the cleavage is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so sitting around in barely anything eating frosting and checking out my new do sounds pretty good! Throw in some good books. maybe some new nailpoish and you have yourself some quality me time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! That is hot. Good thing you have frosting!! I find that frosting always makes things better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, I wish I was there eating frosting from Christmas with you and checking out your new do! Of course!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, if I were in that heat I would be laying on my bed as naked as I could get and NOT MOVING.

    Second, a knife is the only way to eat frosting. I'm all for it!

    And third, yay for the hair!

    ReplyDelete