Saturday, September 19, 2009

Where The Good Men Have Gone

When a man* has done something bad, it's hard to reconcile how you could have trusted someone who turned out to be not trustworthy. Like, shouldn't my Spidey-sense have known this would happen? It's easy to blame yourself, when in reality, he chose to do this bad thing, you didn't make him do it. (It can take a long time to really believe this is true.) And then after you finally believe it, you still wonder: how do I know this won't happen again? How can I trust myself again when my judgment was so bad the last time?

And then you look around and realize: most men are pretty good. Some are even exceptional. Last night I was hanging out with some of my male friends here, and for the first time in a long time, I believed again the chances of running into another man like that last one are pretty slim. These guys? Are good guys. Not angels (thank heavens!), but respectful, decent, trustworthy people. And so are 99% of the men I've known in my life. So thank you, good men, for being good, for helping me see outside the shadow I've been living in, for helping me remember (and believe) you're out there. I'm glad I know where you are.

*This goes for women too, but I am writing from my perspective

7 comments:

  1. Awww you're welcome Rebecca!

    On a serious note though, some of us are not good people. Others are dealing with their issues and hurt others in the process. A select few are mature and stable enough not to cause turmoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One bad seed always seem to ruin the pot. Unfortunatley, that is the one you remember the most. Glad you were able to see the truth. I think the majority of the men out there are very good decent guys. You have to go through the frogs first to find the prince. Then you appreciate that prince so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I needed to hear some of that right now. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have obviously been hanging out with my Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are good guys out there.

    They just never seem to date me, that's all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading your perspective. I have met the good, the bad and the ugly...I hope you meet more of the good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It took me a very long time to learn this lesson - glad to see you're ahead of the game! Yey! :-)

    ReplyDelete