Sunday, September 27, 2009

So, Now I Am A Pusher

Well, it has come to this, China: I shoved someone out of the way on the subway yesterday. Not just blocked, pushed. My transformation into aggressive public transportation user is complete. New York, here I come! (Except, um, in New York I'll probably get knifed. Note to self: push the reset button at Customs.)

So, there is a story behind it: one of my friends here is JoAnn, an awesome lady who is a retired Wall Street programmer from Long Island. This is her third Peace Corps assignment. There is a tradition in China to give up your seat to the elderly, and people actually do it, willingly. I've done it, and it's a really nice tradition and wish it were done in more places. Anyway, we were waiting to get on the train car and because I've been in China longer, I'm a better push-my-way-through-the-crowd public transport rider. I pushed my way in and found two seats together, putting my purse down on the seat next to me to wait for JoAnn to get in the car. As she was getting close, I began moving my purse out of the way for her, when out of nowhere a Chinese guy starts sliding into her spot. I put my hands on his back, yelled "DON'T SIT", and pushed him from sitting down. Now, Chinese people do this to each other, but they don't expect it from a foreigner; he turned around half-shocked, but saw JoAnn and sort of nodded like, "Oh, okay, old person, gotcha." But seriously? I would have shoved him out of the way for a young person too. It's like Darwinism here, all the time, and if you don't grab what you need, you'll never get it.

I didn't expect to become this person.

3 comments:

  1. WOW. You are so becoming one of them. :) I think it is good that you have adapted so well though. But yes, remember the reset button at customs. Have a great day, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a mother bear protecting what's hers..it was clearly a seat you found and you had a right to tell him to not sit there - whether its a chinese tradition or not. Mind you, I think people give up their seats to the elderly too in America in some small town places out of courtesy. But its great its there too.

    I dont think it was bad of you to say it. He should have known better and he should think more highly of you because you knew what to say to get his attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh. If you can't beat'em, join'em.

    On second thought, that's probably not the best thing I could have said. I'm guessing that during your early days in China, you may have vowed to stay true to your values, and now you're probably worried that some of that's been lost?

    ReplyDelete