Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Your Son Is In Good Hands"


I've decided to start a funny t-shirt collection. This one isn't Chinglish, but I still thought it was funny. And I do have good hands! (This shirt is xtra large, a medium in western sizing. If you buy a Chinese shirt, be aware of the sizing difference.)

I learned today that saying 'chop chop' meaning 'hurry' or 'fast' is Chinese in origin. Maybe I am the last one to realize this? It comes from the same translation as 'chopsticks.' In Mandarin chopsticks are called 'kuaizi', which translates literally as 'fast ones.' When I want someone to hurry, I am going to start saying, "kuaizi kuaizi!" as a little Chinglish joke. No one will get it, but I will laugh inside. In other news, I am a dork.

6 comments:

  1. I would laugh at your kuaizi kuaizi joke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one dork to another...I like your idea! I thought the tshirt was the back side of some big undies. The shirt is a better idea. :)
    I say to my kids CHOP CHOP all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what interesting titbits. The size difference is funny.

    I had a classmate in college who was from China - a very good looking woman who was 6 ft tall. I once asked her, are you from japan? She was offended and said to me, have you ever seen a Japanese as tall as I am?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love little jokes that only I get. They crack me up all day long, so I say - why not. Oh, and I somehow actually knew the saying "chop chop" came from China...for fast. Guess I am smarter than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're sending trunks of this stuff home! Oh man... *shakes head and giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  6. BBS, that is hilarious, and now that you say it, it does look like giant undies. Bad photo on my part.

    yrautca, there is a lot of animosity toward the Japanese here. I bet she was!

    It's just me, you are very smart! I had no idea.

    Techno, you know it. Can't wait to wear these back home.

    ReplyDelete