Monday, June 22, 2009

All That's Missing Are The Cook's Butts

We had a long dinner to kick off our weekend of shenanigans-- over four hours long. We ate around 20 dishes of food, consumed 40 bottles of beer, 4 bottles of wine and countless shots of Chinese sangria. ("We" meaning the dinner party-- I don't drink any alcohol.) In short, a typical Chinese dinner. I passed the kitchen on the way to the bathroom and took a peek inside. Here's what a little Chinese restaurant kitchen looks like:


In the little restaurant we often go to for lunch, the cook always has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, and there are butts all over the floor. I wonder how much ash I've eaten. Believe it or not, your body gets used to this style of cooking. We all got sick our first few weeks/months here, but now it's just minor discomfort, if we even get sick at all. Whoever said, "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger" must have been talking about Chinese food. By the way, the food is delicious! It's worth being sick a few times for. This is my favorite dish, Pao4 Jiao1 Rou2 Si4. I'd never heard of it in the U.S., but I'm going to ask for it when I come back. It's pickled hot peppers with pork and a cool vegetable like celery, cucumber, or bamboo. (This is bamboo.)


And something else I thought might interest you: this wooden barrel is used for storing rice. A nicer restaurant will make fresh rice everyday. Others don't. (You can ask them when they cooked the rice to decide if you want to eat there, but I never ask.)


And here is a shot of our table after dinner was over. Dinner in America is going to seem so boring after two years in China.

10 comments:

  1. I have a feeling I would lose some weight living in China. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And unlike Suz up there, I would gain.

    BUUUURRRPPPPPP!

    Looks yummy. I try not to sweat this sort of thing....the kitchens et al....

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, looking at that picture makes me suddenly crave cous cous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like quite a feast. I think i may have major problems eating in China since i am somewhat of a health/neat freak. I see a heineken bottle on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post both delighted and disgusted me! I always say I never want to see where and how they prepare my food when I eat out, LOL!

    Glad you're having such a good time, Rebecca - loooove the photos and descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BBS, dysentery is a hell of a weight loss program. :)

    myself, oh, it is delicious, and I agree with you.

    Rebecca, haha, really? I can't make the connection.

    yrautca, not heineken, a local brand, but yeah the bottling is similar.

    techno, thanks! I am glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ANYTHING in America is going to seem boring after two years in China! Seriously.

    I'd like to try your favorite dish here in the states (I'll look for it). I think it'd be good over white rice (fresh, white rice). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks soooo good! I'll definitely give your favorite dish a try =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and we'll see about the chongqing hotpot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how does your favorite dish have pork in it? and how are they all so skinny from eating all the time?That kitchen is gross. It reminds me of a little chinese restaurant here that was really yummy. We quit eating there when we saw the kitchen and it failed the health inspections. too funny.

    ReplyDelete