Wednesday, June 3, 2009

International Mailing Tip

Did you know Amazon will mail books, CDs and DVDs to many countries around the world? They do, for pretty reasonable rates. (Shipping a book to China costs about $10.) But it appears thieves have figured out Amazon boxes contain items that can be easily resold on the black market. If you send someone a package in a less-reliable country, DON'T use an Amazon box. It's very easy to slit open the bottom, steal the resellable items, and retape. I know this from personal experience. At least they left the candy inside!

If I buy something online, I have it sent to my mom's house and she sends it to me in a Priority International box. She puts it on the customs declaration, but I guess those aren't read in-country because nothing has been taken from these boxes. The Post Office International Priority boxes are very reliable; they arrive in about 10 days. First class mail is currently taking about 6 weeks to get here. Things I send to the U.S. and Canada are taking 2-3 months.

3 comments:

  1. So, have you read New Moon yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...thieves stealing your mail?? horrible.
    2-3 months to mail out?
    Have you started your Christmas cards yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marianne, no, darn it. I asked Micah to send it to me, but forgot to remind him and my last box didn't have it. I'll remind him again. I don't want to buy it online, I'm poor!

    BBS, yes, and it stinks! I know, I will have to send them in September, just to be safe. Slow boat FROM China is more like it. :)

    ReplyDelete