Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Daily Life Part I: Makin' Copies, Makin' Friends

I thought maybe a little glimpse into the daily life of China might be interesting. These posts will involve lots of pictures. The idea is to let you "see" what it is like to live in my part of China. If it isn't interesting, no worries, I won't keep it going. (Click pictures to enlarge.)

First, the local copy shop. When I need anything xeroxed or printed, this is where I go. You can make 70 copies or 35 printed pages for the equivalent of $1.00 USD. The lady who always helps me wasn't there today, and she is ALWAYS there, so now I am worried about here. I'll go back tomorrow to check on her. She doesn't speak Mandarin, she only speaks the local dialect, so I have a hard time talking with her, but she is very nice and we are friendly with each other. This is the front door of the shop.

Inside view. They might have Kinko's-style copy places in the East, but not out here. It's empty right now because most students are done with classes. During the school year it gets quite crowded in there!






This lady sells fried veggie dumplings and potatoes everyday on the sidewalk outside my gate, and is also someone I am friendly with. (She was shy about having her picture taken.) She prefers speaking the local dialect, but she understands Mandarin. We always smile and say hello when I walk by, even when I am not buying anything. One thing about being a foreigner, everyone remembers you! The carts of fruit you see next to her usually sell some seasonal fruits, so their product changes all year round. In the background is a small shop selling school supplies.


This little fruit stand is just outside the gate of my school. They also recognize me and know I always buy three bananas and three apples, which are available year round. It's good to buy from the same sellers because they get to know you and it helps their business if you shop there. (Locals want to shop where foreigners shop.) On the corner you can see a little stand selling bottled drinks and cigarettes. These little stands/stalls are located about every hundred feet. There is no excuse for going thirsty or smokeless in China!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting?! Heck yeah I think it's interesting. I'm intrigued!

    Can't wait to see more of these nooks :o)

    p.s. That copy shop looks kinda scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting.
    First off, we are SO spoiled here. I have issues with the dirt/filth I see everywhere. I suppose you just get used to it? I feel like I would need to carry a dustvac with me at all times. :0
    Kinkos has no competition with china.
    The food establishments...I suppose there is not people going around making sure all is clean and good??? taking chances at all corners...
    Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us a whole nother world. I love the pictures of food most of all...whether they're restaurants or outdoor markets. Actually, I love all your photos! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Thank you for sharing your daily life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! the chinese certainly aren't sticklers for cleanliness and tidyness, are they! LOL!

    it's amazing to see the order created out of such chaos, the beautiful mingling with the beasts, the colors clashing with the cement.

    i love that the pics clicked bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an experience you have living there from what you are used to. I love when you post pictures. Its like we are getting a field trip with you for a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys, I'm glad you like the photos. I'll post more this week.

    Yes BBS, it did take some getting used to, but I hardly notice it now. I notice more when things are clean instead.

    ReplyDelete