Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life On The Banks of the Yangtse River

I live on the banks of the Yangtse River (known locally as the ChangJiang). This is not as romantic as it sounds. It's very humid here due to the rivers, and it often rains for days on end. I can't see the river from my apartment, but it is within walking distance. Here's a picture of the peninsula on which I live (on an exceptionally rare clear sky day):


Chongqing City is divided up into districts, similar to the boroughs of Manhattan. The population in the city is estimated to be around 13 million people, but Chongqing is mainly known as a factory city, not a city of business or finance or entertainment. I read in the local paper that an estimated 2,000 people a day come from the countryside into Chongqing looking for unskilled labor work. Based on what I have read about NYC history, Chongqing must be a bit what it was like living in NYC around the time of the Industrial Revolution; the lack of services, sanitation issues, factory pollution, construction and fire safety issues, Tammany Hall style politics, run down apartments and constant construction do not make this an easy place to live. But there is an energy to the city, as if it knows it is a city on the cusp of becoming something wonderful in China. I can only imagine what it might be like to come back and visit in 20 years or so, to see what has become of the the possibilities here. I look forward to that.

Sometimes I am still shocked that I live here, that living on the banks of the Yangtse is my everyday life. I wonder how anything else is going to compete with this experience. It's stressful and chaotic, but it's also vibrant and energizing. I'll never be the same person again for living here.

9 comments:

  1. I love your last sentence and I believe that you are a changed person already. You're living a totally different culture, soaking it all in and embracing what you have. I love that about you!

    The aerial view is beautiful! I'd love to see pictures of your city in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarlet, that is so sweet, thank you, sincerely. I often feel like a big dork here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic photo. I am glad that you are enjoying your experience here and that you are sharing it with us.
    I think one of the greatest possibilities in our life is traveling and seeing 'what is out there' aside from our own front door. I still get the urge to hit the road and see the rest of the world, but on the other hand, I am content where I am parked. I am torn...I want to see it all, but I also don't want to leave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "oh Yangtse, Yangtse, river full of feeesh!"

    I think that's from a Monty Python sketch, and your post reminded me of it.

    The photo of the city is very beautiful, but I am told that smog is a huge issue over there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a lovely pic of the city. I feel like we should be paying you for sharing these rich experiences with us (dont get any ideas now).

    Chicago has two bodies of water and - lake michigan and chicago river. Water-based cities are great cities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the photo. It helps to understand where you are and what you are experiencing. Since I am living vicariously through you, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could say it's a pretty photo and all but it made me ill... sooo much pollution, cement and swarming with people! yuck!

    Luckily it's YOUR adventure and you're having a blast, so despite my misgivings about big cities, I have to like it!

    In a way we are all growing by you sharing your experiences with us - THANK YOU for expanding our horizons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I was pretty shocked to see the picture. Blue waters on one side, muddy on the other and a city landscape in the middle. I think this is a life experience for you and one day when you are old, you will look back on this and be so happy that you made this trip and have many stories to share! (like this one)

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the photo, the city is not very industrial at all!

    ReplyDelete