Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Time

One of the hardest things about being here is accepting that my Peace Corps service will be nothing like I imagined. I always thought of Peace Corps as living in a hut, helping people with their daily needs, making people happy, etc etc. And my experience is nothing like that.

There are three goals of the Peace Corps: providing trained men and women to train other men and women, promote understanding of Americans abroad, and promote understanding of other cultures in America.

So as I sit in my apt., surrounded by millions of people, most of whom couldn't care less I am here, watching other teachers getting paid and living well for what I am doing for free while struggling financially, I have to focus on the benefits of being here. They are not what I thought they would be. In the meantime, I cry a lot. I get really lonely. I get really frustrated. So bear with me, my peeps. I'll be happy here. It's just going to take some time.

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear... I feel for you, I really do. You are one brave woman to put yourself through all of this - most people in the world would never give it a second thought. They might not notice but we do... and you do.

    (( hugs ))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there. There is one thing that I know about you, since I have known you for a bit, is that you are amazingly strong. Your family love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry it's been so rough! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know you are admired by many and blessed for your service. You are a strong person. email me any time. I get lonely too with Tobe gone training all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys for your support. It really means a lot and makes me feel less lonely here. I don't want to be a whiner, but some times these challenges feel overwhelming (as they did that day). We all have challenges and struggles. I hope I can be there for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're always in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so grateful that the internet allows us to keep in touch. I'm still in such awe that you are doing such an amazing thing. Even when it really sucks. Love you.

    ReplyDelete