Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thank You...Not

In Chinese culture, you don't say thank you to friends, family, or people who are helping you as part of their job, because they are just fulfilling their role like they should. For example, you don't thank parents for anything because they're your parents, they're SUPPOSED to help you. If you DO thank them, it is insulting to them. it means you don't think very highly of them. You only thank strangers or people who help you when it is NOT their job (such as when someone gives you directions on the street or something).

They think it's weird that Westerners say thank you so much. It is one of the hardest things I have remembering here, I am always biting my tongue a second too late. And I always know if I have committed a "thank you" faux pas because they get really embarrassed and stammer out a "you're welcome." (In Chinese, of course.)

Oh yeah, this is also why you don't tip: they are paid to do their job, to give them a tip would be insulting.

1 comment:

  1. I am liking chinese culture more and more (besides the animal cruelty thing). It just makes sense!

    ReplyDelete