Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Miscellaneous

A couple of random things:

1. You can't flush toilet paper in China, the sewer system is not built for it. So every bathroom has a little garbage can next to the toilet to dispose of used tissue. You throw the bag away every few days. In a related note, no, there is no Lysol here. I know.

2. You can smoke anywhere. I still get surprised at people smoking indoors. Today I had lunch at this little hole in the wall (the best food is at the hole in the walls) and the cook came out of the kitchen with a cigarette dangling from his lip. I love that my cook was dropping ashes while cooking my food. Seriously, it is so China! (They cook the food to boiling so I know it is germ free.)

3. You have to shove your way to the front to get on a bus, train, or light rail car. Foreigners are often shy about this at first, but I have become fearless. Today I squeezed a girl like a watermelon seed when she tried to cut in front of me. Haha, she thought I would be an easy target I am sure. NOT SO MUCH.

4. You can get a pedicure with painted pictures on your toenails for about $3.00. Another female Peace Corps volunteer took me last week as a little cheer me up. So now I have black toenails with pink cherry blossoms on them.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing cultural differences, the more you look the more there are. And yet, we are still all human beings...

    Love the pedi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gorgeous toes, Rebecca! And what I like BEST is the price! So fun!! I'd go weekly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just an FYI to Becca...

    I got in finally!

    ReplyDelete