Monday, October 13, 2008

Survivors

You often see very small, elderly people here. And when I say small, I mean small: sometimes only 4 feet tall or so, most likely because of malnutrition they suffered as children. And when I see them, I never fail to feel a combination of sadness and awe: an estimated 30-70 million people died of starvation (and other reasons) between 1945 and the 1970's in China. These are the survivors. They might be tiny, but they have more strength than I hope I ever have to find out I have.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I learned something from this post. I have always wondered why the older Chinese folk are so tiny, well a lot of them anyway. I never knew about the starvation. No kidding about them being survivors! Thanks for posting that Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had no idea. That truely is amazing. That is a true survivor

    ReplyDelete