Saturday, October 25, 2008

SAD Lamp


When I lived in Utah this past winter, I used a SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) sun lamp at my work desk. I bought this one on Amazon, a bit pricey, but the light projected really well at any angle. I set it up next to my laptop and I turned it on for about an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon. If you have a tendency toward SAD, I cannot underestimate the difference a SAD lamp can make. The only bad side affect was coworkers asking me what I was growing at my desk. ;)

Our medical office here in China (they are awesome and give us anything we need) gives SAD lamps to people living in high pollution cities because the sunlight doesn't reach us very often. I have been feeling so down in the dumps the last few weeks and duh, I remembered my SAD lamp. It is on my desk right now, I hope it makes a difference. (This one is small and has to be angled toward eye level. I miss my big desk version.)

You can also get standing SAD lamps for rooms, but these are even pricier. If you have a desk for a computer, the desktop version works very well because you want the lamp within your sightline, not directly in front of your eyes. Keep it within about a foot of your face, off to the side, and you are good to go.

NatureBright Sun Lamp, Amazon.com, $129.99

1 comment:

  1. That is both disturbing and frightening that the pollution is so bad it blocks out the sun.

    ReplyDelete