Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bone Sucking

A couple of days ago the Dean of my department took us (the foreign teachers and a few Chinese staff) out to dinner. One of the specialties at this restaurant is a soup that is served with the meat bones broken in half, sticking up out of the pot. It is tradition to drink the marrow from the bones with a straw when the meal is over. I tried not to smile too big at the other foreign teachers when the Dean declined on my behalf because I am a vegetarian. Not that there's anything wrong with drinking marrow from bones with a straw but...I'll stick to Diet Coke with my dinner, thanks!

Also, one way to gauge how nice a restaurant is is by the type and availability of ashtrays at the table. This place had little individual glass ashtrays at every place setting. Very nice!

3 comments:

  1. Two words... marrow and ashtrays.

    One more word... YUCK!!

    LOL I love how you take everything in stride :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would stick to the Diet Coke too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gag* Bone marrow is sooooo gross. It's so jelly like and slimy looking. It would be like sucking egg white up a straw and having it slither down your throat....NASTY!!!!!

    On that note though, I bet ALL Chinese women swallow, cuz really, after sucking bones .... is swallowing really a bad thing????

    ReplyDelete