Saturday, August 1, 2009

Chinese Stew

1. There are no solely left-handed Chinese. All kids have to be right-handed. Some kids who start out left-handed surreptitiously maintain the skill and are ambidextrous, but no one is just left-handed.

2. My Chinese to English dictionary (no English to Chinese) is 2,139 pages long. If I want to look up a character and I don't know the pinyin (alphabetized spelling), I first use a paper radical index to find the pinyin, then look up the word alphabetically in the dictionary. There are often pages and pages of characters that share the same pinyin. It gets easier with practice, it takes me less than a minute now to find a new character.

3. The standard greeting here is "Have you eaten yet?" This is because for so long there has not been enough food. Being able to eat is a big deal.

4. Most advertisements for Chinese products have elderly people in them because in Chinese culture the elderly are respected and admired for their wisdom. The exceptions: some Western products like Pepsi, which feature young celebrities.

5. In China, the leading cause of death for women is suicide, and more women commit suicide here than men. Very sad. I'm racking my brain thinking of something I can do to help while I'm here.

6. The word for maternal grandmother is 'foreign old woman.' According to my tutor, this is because women are traditionally outsiders in Chinese families; she comes from another family. But this is changing in urban areas in China, where girls are losing the "outsider" stigma. I wonder if this name will change.

7. The slang word for girls who lose their heads over a cute boy is 'foolish flower.' Asking someone "What thing are you?" is a huge insult.

8. My new cell phone has Chinese and English loaded, which means I can type in Chinese characters. This is really helpful for writing myself notes of character hotel names, city names etc. Also, texting in Chinese is a good deal, because you only get 160 letters/spaces in English, but 70 characters in Chinese (the equivalent of 300-400 letters/spaces).

9. I've been practicing Chinese character drawing this summer. There is a beautiful yin/yang aspect to the strokes, which must be memorized and drawn in the correct order and direction. I'm taking a calligraphy class in the Fall on my campus to learn to write characters with the large art brushes used in Chinese art. I'm really looking forward to it.

10. One more picture: our fans crowded into the window of a beauty salon to watch us go by. (Click to enlarge.)


I'm leaving again in the morning for a week or so. Take care, all!

11 comments:

  1. I love these posts, they're the BEST! And your fan club looks sweet enough ;-)

    Have a GREAT time, you shall be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so interesting. SO sad about the women/suicide though...I wonder why this is?
    Have a wonderful time, can't wait to get some updates. Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog!

    I hope you have fun on your next adventure. You still need to research for us why the Chinese like Hotel Cali so much.

    Do you generally feel that women are treated badly in China?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family is always asking "Have you eaten yet?" and even when the answer is yes, they want to feed you. Food = Love in this culture. :)

    Your #5 is shocking and sad. Let me know if there's something I can do to help. (Let's think up a creative plan.)

    Btw, "foolish flower" sounds cute. I'll have to use that one on my silly girl friends.

    Have a fun and safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Interesting fact.
    5. Thats really sad.
    7. Thats interesting too.
    10. Great pic. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time.

    I love these posts too, in spite of the fact the #5 makes me really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to hear more about your experiences with lefties in China. My parents were Chinese immigrants to NYC from another earlier generation. And they worked hard to break me of my lefty tendencies. Very traumatic! I'm a blogger now too, and have a section called "Left-handers, Unite!" Thanks for the other insightful observations in this post. I was last in China in 2005 and look forward to your updates. I'll look for you on Twitter too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gr8 that u are learning Chinese, I still struggle with Hindi after 15 years in India; u r inspiring. I understand the 'foreign old woman' bit, in India, married in girls have lower status in the family than married off girls. This really freaked me out initially - we have no such concept westside...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading about China from your perspective. It is such a fascinating country with so much rich history.

    I was so saddened and surprised to read that suicide is the leading cause of death for Chinese women. What do you think the reasoning behind that could be. I do hope that there is a way that you can help.

    I hope that you had a great trip!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. it sounds like you're having a great time out there.. Makes me miss Japan immensely.. I plan on taking my gf out there once I get a new job (if i get the job in New Mexico...

    Hope you're fine out there.. thinking of you!

    -Damien

    ReplyDelete
  11. What are you referring to when you say "What thing are you?" Is that the equivalent of asking someone their astrological sign? I don't get it.

    I can't wait to start calling people foolish flowers. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete