Thursday, July 30, 2009

KTV, Dentistry, Stairs and Hotel Rooms in the Countryside

First of all, thank you for your thoughtful answers to my questions on my previous post. I take them to heart.

Now, some more pictures. Karaoke in China is called KTV and it's done in private rooms, not a bar; you rent a room by the hour. (Don't rent a room without a door window!) Each room has a big screen tv and song machine, and bigger rooms also have a private wet bar and bathroom. If you ever do business in China, your hosts will most likely take you to KTV. I haven't met a Chinese person yet who doesn't love KTV. If you can sing KTV well, this gives you a lot of 'face.' There are also 'KTV girls' who entertain lonely gentleman by singing karaoke with them. This is just about as on-the-up-and-up as it sounds. (I censored the photo myself. It was full nipplage in there.)


A street dentist. Look, no wait!


An extremely common scene: adults on the street crowded around a short makeshift table, playing card games. They are usually playing for money. I love that this is the customer satisfaction center.


The area where I live has lots of mountains, so there are steps everywhere. And no elevators unless the building has more than nine stories. (I live on the 4th floor; Andrew lives on the 8th!). The city we were in also has lots of stairs, and I walked up and down staircases everyday. On the plus side, they keep your butt high and firm! 

And finally, a shot of the sink, shower and room in the 'hotel' we stayed in in the countryside. I'm cooling down my breakfast boiled egg in an ashtray of cold water.  I brought my own toilet paper, it wasn't provided.



7 comments:

  1. Sure makes you miss the Hilton, eh? LOL ah well, when in Rome... (or China...)

    Stairs = good, street dentists = bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be okay with the stairs, I don't know how i would fair in those hotel rooms. eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to camp rather than stay there. Sorry, I am SPOILED. :)
    Glad to see someone else uses the phrase nipplage. The KTV places crack me up, as well as the dentist. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. China does look dirtier than I would have expected. I am surprised at the strong sexual vibes you see around you. The media makes it seem as if they are all castrated robots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that sidewalk dentist office scares the hell out of me. Looks like something from a 70s horror flick!

    The hotel bath could be nicer as well.

    It's fascinating to hear and see what it's really like in faraway China. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these posts. I love seeing what it is like there, since I probably won't ever get to see it like you do.

    Thank you for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A street dentist! Oh my, I'm already terrified of going as it is now....I can't imagine that being the only option! YIKES :D

    ReplyDelete