Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Total Solar Eclipse!

Chongqing lies directly in the path of the total solar eclipse, so I got to see a pretty incredible, once in a lifetime event today. I'm so glad we were in the countryside; the smog is so thick in Chongqing city, most days you can't see the sun at all. But out here (about 4 hours from the city), we had clear, sunny skies. (Thanks, weather, for cooperating.)

Around 9:00 AM this morning, we went outside with pinhole tubes to reflect the shadow of the sun onto the ground and track the movement of the moon. As the moon began to pass over the sun, the temperature dropped dramatically and the sky became dimmer and dimmer, as if someone were using a light switch to turn out the sky. And then! Total solar eclipse! The moon completely blocked the sun for 5 - 6 minutes. It was really amazing to see first-hand. I took pictures using different aperture settings, and I got some pretty good shots for a handheld digital camera. I can't wait to share them with you.

p.s. I'll be back home sooner than I thought; I was supposed to go to another city after this one, but I miss my bed. And I miss some other things I'll talk about more in another post. So, I've rescheduled that visit for a week later. I'll be back home this weekend, yay!

6 comments:

  1. I am so, wildly jealous. That is so awesome!

    Good luck on your trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I was wondering if you'd get to see this. What an event to witness. I'm sure it makes living in China for two years worth it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched it on the news. Can't wait to see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude you're having like the time of your friggin life over there. Incredible stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo I've seen a couple of those (and lunar eclipses too) - aren't they just AWESOME??

    yes, i am that old. shhhh.

    can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete