Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pink Ladies, Street Trash, Toilets and Hot Pot

Click all pics to enlarge.
Hair salons with pink lights indicate you can arrange for a prostitute inside. You can's sleep with her there, that's just where you can procure services.


The 'Organism' label on street garbage cans always makes me chuckle a bit.


When there isn't a trash can available, though, you can just dump it anywhere.


Hot Pot cuisine began in my municipality and every single Chinese person you meet here asks if you like it. It's hot spicy broth with a layer of even hotter spicy oil on top, and you pull food from the plates to cook in the pot, like fondue. But when you pull it out of the oil, you stick in a little bowl of mild oil, cilantro, garlic, salt, and MSG, THEN eat it. This place had individual hot pots, which is more expensive (and less common) than one communal pot in the center of the table. The day after you eat hotpot, you go to the bathroom every three hours or so. We call it Body Drano. It's possible to lose a few pounds after a night of spicy hot pot. Those are dumplings in my mild oil bowl.



Our table had a motorized glass lazy-susan top! Coolest thing ever. I want one for my house someday. This shot was at the end of the meal, believe it or not. It's a sign of wealth to be able to leave food on the table, so hosts will order more than anyone could possible eat to assure their status.


And finally, the squat toilet where I dropped my cell phone. Look at how high the walls are, and no door-- there was no privacy in this bathroom at all. If someone else was in there, you went into the stall right next to them so you weren't staring at each other from across the aisle. Awkward.


More pics tomorrow-

5 comments:

  1. Wow..the food looks amazing, but i don't think I could ever eat b/c I'm pretty sure I could never use one of those pottys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some of those pics are disturbing, while others are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must remember the pink light detail...and avoid buying my girls pink bulbs for their rooms. :)
    You know that litter just gives me the heebie jeebies.
    I am a amazed at all the food waste...just for status? WOW.

    The toilets? That would keep me away from the hot pot cuisine for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok hot pot sounds YUMMERS. Absolutely yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics. So is prostitution legal? I always thought of the Chinese as frugal so it surprises me that they order extra food to show off. The toilet pics are gross even for a guy. The food sounds yummy but I do see myself starving to death in China.

    ReplyDelete