Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Boy Scout of Lip Gloss

Please know, I have a Chilean mother, and in Chilean culture, appearance is extremely important. I have been conditioned to never leave the house without wearing make-up, especially lip gloss. That Peace Corps stereotype of the granola girl who doesn't wear makeup? Yeah, so not me. I looked at my make-up supply the other day, and here's what I packed for my two year stay in China:

4 eyeshadow quads
4 eyeshadow singles
2 blushes (1 cream, 1 powder)
6 liquid eyeliners (purple and brown)
14 tubes of lip gloss
5 tubes of lipstick
7 lip liners
6 pencil eyeliner/brow pencils
4 eyelash curlers
19 jars of Bare Minerals (foundation, concealer, mineral veil)

I'm NEVER going to use all this make-up while I'm here. What was I thinking? (Panic, that's what I was thinking.) Definitely overprepared.* Anyone need any lip gloss?

*Better over than under, though, because makeup here is 4x as expensive as the U.S. Not sure why.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that IS over prepared!

    I don't wear much makeup these days, but I do a bit when I go to work to avoid comments that I look dead and tired

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, if i need lip gloss, i know where to go..

    thanks for the welcome becca! china has been great so far =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl can never have too much lipgloss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FB, I wear it to avoid those comments from my mom. :)

    BBS and MM, you are girls after my own heart! See, now I don't feel dumb about it anymore. I was right to bring so much. Thanks.

    Y, good idea, but I'm sure I'll give the extras to female students I've become friends with her before I leave.

    Muted, yay, you're in China! Anytime. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you steal my makeup box? LOL

    Ah it's not so bad, most makeup keeps for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete