Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cell Phone Sacrifice To The Squat Toilet Gods

An expensive lesson I learned this week: don't stick your cell phone in your pocket when using a squat toilet. When I squatted, my cute little cell phone I love so much shot out my pocket like a watermelon seed, right down the hole in the ground.  The worst hole-in-one ever!  Picture Macauley Culkin in Home Alone, that was pretty much my face.

A janitor used a hooked stick to try fishing it out of the hole, but no luck. I was willing to let it go at this point, but because I am a foreigner they went the extra mile and found the spot where the pipe curves to exit the building. They opened the pipe, and sure enough, there was my cell phone. Sitting in sewer water. And yes, they brought it out and handed it to me. (I ignored all thoughts of germs and took it without flinching. After they went to all that trouble, what else could I do?) 

As you might have guessed, a cell phone is not meant to survive a cesspool.  It's dead, dead, dead. (The exact words of the guy in the shop where I took it to get repaired: "Your phone is hurt very bad.") But the good news is that I was able to salvage the SIM card and memory cards, so I won't have to get a new phone number. I'll be looking for a new cell phone when I get back home. (The selection out here in the countryside is about what you'd expect). I better find a GREAT deal after this sacrifice to the squat toilet gods.

(Thanks to everyone who told me my posting from email worked. If something is wonky, I apologize, I can't see it for a few weeks.)

10 comments:

  1. That is a terrible ordeal!!! Poor cell phone...I can imagine that face you made too.
    ps. I loathe those toilets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to go!!! You have more calm then I do, I am not sure if I could contain not making a face when they handed it to me. But, it is a good thing the SIMS card was saved. That is a mess trying to get numbers, believe me I have been there. Cell phones and glass of water that you kids thought would be fun to put the phone in, just don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful! I know how horrible it feels to be without a cell phone and what a way to lose it...like money down the drain! :(

    I hope you're able to get a replacement soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. um . just ew.

    As for the not being able to see anything, yes, I read that....joy oh bliss living in China eh!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats bad luck. Good thing you got the SIM card so hopefully you still have all the numbers you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...so sorry! I have NEVER seen a toilet in the floor like that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh squatty potties. that's quite an adventure! pretty shocked they got it out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh em gee, that's just so GROSS!

    LOL!

    I'd have cried a little and flushed a lot and that would have been that! But you're smart and got your sim card back - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YUCK! Glad your sim card is still intact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man - I haven't seen one of those toilets in a bit! (i lived in beijing in 2005)

    ReplyDelete