Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Bra Strap Triangulation

As soon as I discovered my bra had removable straps, I knew the next step would be losing one of 'em. Sure enough, a strap went MIA only the second time I took them off. Bra straps are my new bobby pins! Luckily it's fashionable right now in China to have fancy, exposed bra straps, so I went across the street to the accessories store and bought these as replacements (along with a clear set):


(Perhaps these are also now fashionable in the U.S.? I'm not keeping up on the home trends very well.)

It's one of the dichotomies of life in China: a very conservative culture in which it's completely acceptable for your bra and panties to show through your clothes. And by panties, I mean the 1/2-inch inseam denim shorts in size -3 that are so popular here. They're pretty much denim underwear. (And Chinese girls have no cellulite, so they look great in them!) In my city, a popular summer outfit for girls is denim panties, fancy-strap bra, long sheer shirt, and high heeled shoes. I cannot pull this look off.

They also sell bra straps with big rhinestone bows, butterflies and flowers attached, but they were close to $3.00 USD, which was too much for me to buy even as a joke. (The ones above were about $.60 and $.20 respectively.) But you must have at least one set of Hello Kitty. It's just a rule.

8 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I want Hello Kitty bra straps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if your straps are going to show they might as well be cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try so hard to keep my straps covered, but the younger girls show them off. If I were in China, I would have hello kitty (cause I follow the rules) and I could not wear the little denim undies/shorts!!! THat would be obscene.

    PS. I love Mad Men, can't wait to get back home and watch, even if it is a slow start. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could dress like that, even if only on "tempt the husband" nights, LOL!

    Kidding. I'm too old.

    Are the bra straps comfortable? They look ab fab and definitely do splurge on anything hello kitty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kitty must be held in reverence (meaning that she should be splashed across everything from toasters to toilet paper, and then instantly bought). I'm a firm believer in that.

    Those are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really sure about the Hello Kitty thing. My daughter (7) loves it - but what is it exactly? A TV show? A game? Where'd it come from??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Techno, yes, they are comfortable. And they stay put better than the originals.

    Curly, I think she's originally a cartoon cat-type character from Japan.

    I wish I could send you all Hello Kitty bra straps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I was at a party once and a girl was dancing to entertain the guests and her stocking tops were showing and that too in India. I thought she looked awful and asked other guests (discreetly) what they thought. Strangely, they didn't mind at all. And this is in a country where conservative dress (was then) the norm!

    ReplyDelete