Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chinese Philosophy

This summer I've been reading two well-known Chinese philosophy books, Tao Te Ching and The Analects. Tao Te Ching is the compilation of the verses of Daoism (translated as Taoism in English). The Analects is a compilation of the ideas of Confucius. (Confucius didn't write The Analects; it was written by others who remembered his teachings, similar to how in Christian tradition, Jesus didn't write the Bible.) Daoism and Confucianism are accepted as two major historical influences on Chinese culture, thought and tradition. I didn't have much exposure to either book before coming to China, but after living here for a year, I can see the ways in which the ideals of these books manifest themselves in everyday Chinese culture.

For example, I have often wondered why decisions made by the government are not strongly questioned by the majority of citizens, as often happens in other countries along all points of the political spectrum. Well, both books speak strongly of deference to those in power, who are assumed to have achieved a level of wisdom and respect to make decisions for the whole. Children are to defer to their fathers, and in China, the government is the father. Social stability and harmony are of greater importance than the desires of the individual, which are assumed to be self-serving and should therefore be suppressed.

A Chinese friend here said once, "In America, it's okay to make fun of and question your leaders, but the laws are very serious. In China, it's the opposite: you don't question or mock your leaders, but laws are more flexible." I agree with him, and these books have helped me understand more about why Chinese culture has evolved this way. It has also highlighted for me how much of Western culture is influenced by the Judeo-Christian tradition; although it seems apparent to me now, I never considered the fact that we orderly line up in grocery stores and smile at people we don't know as a consequence of our religious history, but in my opinion it is. (These things don't happen here.)  I never considered myself to be a jingoistic person, but I have to admit now the ways in which my views were heavily,  even if unintentionally and non-maliciously, jingoistic.

In the moments when I'm really frustrated by collectivism mentality, the lack of my expectation of social graces, the acts that I consider to be social injustices, I now have a much stronger frame of reference for understanding and being patient with these differences. If anyone is interested in understanding Chinese culture (whether as a tourist, a business person, or a person interested in Chinese culture), I recommend these two books as essential reading.

(Translations in English of both books are available on amazon.com)

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me with your deep thinking. I am a deep thinker also but can never put my thoughts into 'readable' words. I get what you are saying here AND it makes so much sense. If I were to ever venture into a foreign country, I would like you to be at my side, helping me understand. I mean it!!!
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other books folks interested in Taoism may wish to consider are: The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Inner Peace by Diane Dreher, and Taoism: Way Beyond Seeking by Alan Watts.

    ReplyDelete