Thursday, August 20, 2009

Family

The other day I was really wishing I could talk to my dad about something that happened here, because I thought he'd be interested in it. And a few days later, I had a dream I went to his office but he wasn't there; I left a note. I kinda like thinking that my dad knows when I want to talk to him. Maybe he gets the 'notes.' And since we both loved The Daily Show and Colbert Report, I still sometimes want to send him clips of funny moments like we used to do. I wonder if he misses that too.


I don't get homesick too often here, but sometimes I do feel like I'm missing out on things back home. My awesome step-mom and step-siblings, who have been so supportive and are good friends. Their kids are  getting older, wiser and more fun, and I wonder if the little ones will remember me when I get back.  I miss my grandma, who has health problems. Every time I call her, she says, "I'm going to try to live until you come home again." I always tell her, "Grandma, you'll live a long time yet!" But I'm ready to get on the next plane every time she says it. I miss my awesome cousins and their cute kids.



And my brother and sister, who are the funniest people I know. I just know they are having all kinds of fun without me! And my mom, who after getting past her initial concern with my decision, has been incredibly supportive and really made it possible for me to be here with very few worries about my furniture, car, student loan, etc.




My family, it is not your everyday nuclear family (whose is anymore?) but it is an awesome family, all of them. I love them.

7 comments:

  1. Seriously, that just made me cry. Especially that last photo with grandma and grandpa. You are awesome, and I love what you are doing. Making a difference is HUGE!! I need to see you when you get back though, it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet. You do have an awesome family my friend. Those nieces and nephews WILL remember you, you are the best.
    I have realized too how much I love my family and am blessed to have them...hence all my family related posts lately. :)
    take care.

    ps. My grandma has been telling me she is a goner for 10 years..she is 95 and still going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post and your grandmother's comment put a lump in my throat. I wish her a long and happy life...and that you spend good quality time with everyone soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta tell ya kiddo... We love you too! We're very proud of you and are amazed at what you're accomplishing with your life! Your cousin Judy and I are really looking forward to the opportunity to see you here in Oregon when you get back state-side. Take care, -Cousin John :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Man I am crying too! I really miss talking to Bob too. There have been so many times since he has died that I have thought, 'I wonder what Bob would think about this.' He always had the best advice, and a unique perspective on things. And he gave the best blessings.
    I love those pictures. It is funny to see him so skinny and with so much hair (ha ha!) You guys were so cute. And I can't believe how tiny McKenna was!
    Hope you're hanging in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really sweet. We miss you too. Grandma is hanging in there. Her memory is getting way bad though...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tribute of your love, very sweet and heart-felt.

    If you don't have health and family, you don't have much really.

    How many more months until you go home?

    (hugs)

    ReplyDelete