Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Painting, In Memory Of My Father

The hospital where my father was treated for cancer, Hunstman Cancer Institute, has an artwork donation program. A few weeks ago my stepmom and my sister picked out a painting to buy and donate to the hospital in my father's name. (The hospital pre-approves artwork; they chose one by artist Minerva Teichert.) While I was home, we were notified the painting had been hung in the Special Care Unit wing where my father had been treated. We stopped by to see it in its new home. My father loved the outdoors, so I'm glad they chose an outdoor scene. I think he'd really like it. A small plaque will be added below the painting identifying it as being in his memory.

It was a little strange going back to the hospital after spending so much time there while he was being treated, but it was good, too. A bit of closure. 

3 comments:

  1. That's really sweet. You just made me cry a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca that is sooo awesome.

    I had a poem that I had written beside the guestbook at my Mom's funeral. Some of the nurses from the nursing home she had been in took a copy and framed it. It now hangs outside the room she had been in .

    It's a legacy, one for your Dad and one for my Mom.

    ReplyDelete