Friday, February 20, 2009

Birthdays in China

My birthday is tomorrow. I've invited some of the other volunteers to come to my apartment for a chili dinner. (I brought the spices back with me from America.) I also brought back some of that sugar cookie dough mix and I'm making cookies tonight. In China it is a tradition that you take your friends out for dinner and YOU pay, not them. So, I am sorta trying to celebrate the Chinese way. 

I was at the store and they had one birthday cake candle and it was a 7. I am not sure what you do all the other years here!  I thought it was pretty funny though, because they had a few candles, but they were all 7's. Cake is not really popular here. You can get it, but it's mostly weird foamy stuff that is only sorta sweet. Kind of a cross between shaving cream and whipped cream. So I'll just stick to the cookies and chili. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Rebecca!! Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Hope you're doing well!
    Just in case you forgot:
    www.marianneandjames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete