Sunday, December 20, 2009

Ways I've Learned To Be Happy In China

This list might also be applicable to others, but I can only speak for myself.

1. Never be in a hurry.

2. Understand that public services want to maximize the number of available jobs, not efficiency.

3. Hate ice water.

4. Accept parasites and bad bacteria as a consequence of eating.

5. Learn to say "ah ah ah ah" in rapidfire after someone says something to you; it's an acceptable response to almost anything, and saves you when you don't know what else to say. (It's also a more fun way to say goodbye on the phone, but then it's "ah ah ah ah ah bye ah ah ah bye bye bye ah ah bye." No, I am not exaggerating.)

6. Forget the concept 'personal space.'

7. Push back.

8. The phrase "I have something to do" is an all-purpose 'get out of anything free' card. Use it without guilt.

9. Only expect to do one extra thing per day because that one thing will take at least 4 times as long as it takes in your home country, and you'll be too exhausted to do anything else until tomorrow.

10. Understand you will always, in every circumstance, always be an 'other' to the Chinese.

11. Don't expect anyone to multi-task on your behalf. Don't expect them to understand when you want to multi-task. It doesn't exist here. Real Simple, indeed.

A word about that last one: I was reading a friend's Oprah magazine (which I don't really like, I decided, but we'll read anything here if it's in English) and there was an article about reducing the daily stress of trying to do too much, and it struck me how much that is not my life right now. I remember feeling that way, but it has become an alien thing to me, this need to accomplish so many things in one day. No one here expects that kind of thing. It's a really nice reminder that I don't need to be Superwoman to be happy, or to make others happy.

9 comments:

  1. I prefer to not rush around doing so many things at once. I do, but I prefer to savor and be fully aware in what I'm doing. I think a lot of people forget to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that here in America we tend to cram too much in one day and then complain about how stressed out we are. It's crazy!

    I think your #5 is hilarious. I'm going to try that one here and see how it flies! lol

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like: 1,8 & 11.
    Not liking so much: 3,4,6 & 9.
    I would not be as pleasant about some of that stuff as you are.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect list. Concerning ways to cope with China, you hit the nail on the head for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list. Especially #4 and 8.

    I wish people accepted the "I've got plans excuse." But whenever I tell people here that I get questioned to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would have a real issue with #1. But you are a dear for taking them all into stride. Me? Total Meltdown...It is going to make you a better person when you return to the States - in ways you probably dont even realize...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you really just say, "I have something to do," and no one bombards you with rapid fire, "What do you have to do? Well how long will that take you? Well when are you free?" That sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When in Rome... or in China, in your case!

    Adapt or die, somebody coined that phrase and it's brilliant.

    You're blooming, girl! :)

    ps: i love your positive, energy-rich lists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I think you should add one more: Knowing I'm making a difference. You really are! I love the way you've been able to get back up everytime you've been K.O.'d. I love that you share your life with us - you are insightful and humorous, a rare and under- valued gift. You are amazing!! Your other gift is the ability to be happy no matter what circumstance you're in. It may not come easily all the time, but it does come and I admire that about you.

    ReplyDelete