Thursday, December 3, 2009

Chongqing Street Food: Slow Roasted Yams

In wintertime, these barrels of slow-roasting yams show up on street corners. (She is holding an old-fashioned weight scale in her hand, I wish I hadn't cut it out):



The barrel is full of wood and some kind of clean burning briquets (is this the right word? I have no idea), and they put the yams on first thing in the morning. They slow roast all day, and are replaced as they are sold. Here's a close up:




Don't they look delicious? They caramelize naturally through the slow roasting, so they are sweet and tender inside. I eat them by hand like an apple with salt, no butter. The salt offsets the caramelized yam deliciously. And here's the kicker: a small one is about 1 RMB, or about 14 cents. How great is that? Here's what it looks like inside:



These are a different type of yam than the sweet potatoes available in the U.S. I think they taste better. I'll miss them.

8 comments:

  1. WOW...this looks so cool. I can almost smell the sweetness. It is so nice that they are so cheap too...way better than stopping for 'fast food'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you have my mouth watering for that stuff...whatever it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pics make me so hungry. I guess I am hugry. Would love to get a hold of one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMMM I LOVE sweet potatoes and roasting them myself. What a cheap and delicious TREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look pretty gross sitting on the dirty barrel like that (am thinking dog turds) but I agree: LOVE LOVE sweet potatoes! They are little sweet jewels inside, sweet and sticky good. Looks like you are eating a proper yam (yellow flesh) versus the sweet potato we get here (orange flesh). Thanks for sharing the vitamin-packed snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! They look like Japanese sweet potatoes I buy at the Japanese market here. I'm sure you will be able to find them here.

    ReplyDelete