Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Perfect Banana, Chinese Students, and The Letter T

1. I love bananas. No really, I love them. I eat a banana every day. My family nickname is becca-banana. Nothing better than a firm, tasty banana. And nowhere have I found better bananas than in China. Who knew China could be defined by its delicious bananas? I think they must get them from somewhere nearby, because they are always perfectly ripe, never too sweet or too soft. Here is a banana I was eating yesterday. Seriously, how great is this banana? Every bite was a joy. (And yes, I am eating a banana in bed.)




2. Learning to read and write Chinese has given me newfound respect for Chinese students. I know in the West we sometimes make fun of them for being little robots and not very creative, but try learning to write from memory 10,000 Chinese characters and see how far you get! Being literate in Chinese requires immense talent in the memorization of tiny details. No wonder they are memorizing machines. My hats off to them. (It is estimated that the average college graduate knows about 10,000 characters. I have read that it takes knowing anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 characters to read a newspaper. I know a bit over a 1,000 at this point. I can kind of make out simple newspaper articles. But I have a long way to go.)

3. This week I noticed I wrote my print letter 't' with the cross line first, then the vertical line. I was overjoyed! You see, when you write Chinese, you must write horizontally first, then vertically. It's an inflexible rule. This is somewhat backward from how I write alphabet letters. So the fact I changed my 't' without thinking about it means some of this Chinese writing is really sinking in . YAY! But still...a long way to go.

4. I had to go to Peace Corps headquarters this week to see the doctor. (I'm going to live! haha) The train ride from my city to PC headquarters is now only two hours long. 4 years ago, it was 8 hours long. Cutting down the time from 8 to 2 hours in four years is phenomenal. It's really incredible to see the progress China is making in its infrastructure. Daily life is changing so quickly here, and it's really incredible to see things happening firsthand. My students' lives are drastically different from their parents' lives in a way that my life and my parents' lives are not. I can only imagine what the next decade or two will bring to daily life in China. I hope I get the chance to see it.

7 comments:

  1. Great post R!
    I (we) love bananas as well. But we are never able to eat an entire banana without sharing with cocoa. She is a freak for them...she can hear you pulling one from the bunch...from a dead sleep across the house!
    This one is perfect...never have I seen one like this. But really, the picture looks a bit perverse. Or maybe I am still 12?
    Interesting about your communte and chinese writing...gosh, it hurts my head to think of 10,000 characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing deep to say today other than, I HATE BANANAS. I can't even take the smell. I hope you'll forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, that particular banana + bed = some nasty yet funny thoughts running through my head!

    I'm sorry!

    LOL LOL LOL

    Our nanas here are either rock-hard green or freckled mushy. It's a rare treat to find the perfect fruit.

    You are lucky, enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a banana in over a year...and it didn't look that good when I had it! I must search for bananas and make pudding!

    As for Chinese writing...I think it's fascinating, and that you know 1000 character is amazing! Keep learning, Chica...and teach me something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bananas! I have one every morning with breakfast too. My day doesn't feel complete without it.

    Also, yay on the t thing. That is very cool, and shows a big step!

    Finally, I wish I had any sort of recall powers. Lately I can barely remember my own name. And then only on a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like soft bananas though, but cool to know you love them as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are always bananas in my house but I don't believe I have ever taken a picture of one!
    The fact that you can read a simple article in the newspaper in China in truly inspiring. you rock!

    ReplyDelete