Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Few Random Pictures

The English says 'dogmeat', but the Chinese says 'ground meat.' Not sure if it's a euphemism or a mistranslation. (And I think we'd say 'black eyed peas' but that is perhaps a regional English thing.) In any case, I didn't buy it.



Random Transformers character outside a club chain called '88.' (8 is a lucky number in Chinese culture.) There was a sign next to him but all I could make out is that he was some kind of party monster from another planet who was coming here to throw the best party of all time. Might be a New Year's Eve thing. There were still too many characters I didn't know. (I hate that, but good study motivation!)



Chinese grandparents are the nation's babysitters. All day long, it is common to see babies and grandparents, shooting the breeze, feeding some pigeons, etc. This picture is a little bit blurry, I know, but check out those mouse ears and stocky legs. Chinese babies are delicious little butterballs in the winter, due to the layers and layers of clothing they wear.



This line of people stretched all the way around the square. I was shocked there was an orderly line. I walked to the end to see what they were waiting for: discounted light bulbs. I know I have not experienced the kind of hardship in life that makes standing in an hour long line for a discounted light bulb worth it.



5 comments:

  1. This place is a feast for the eyes and for the brain. You never know what you are going to see...do you ever get used to it? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Its nice to see generations of families together. Also, I couldn't imagine standing in line for light bulbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I got to see those babies all day my head would explode from cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's play a game of "Would you rather...?" Would you rather eat JuLong Dogmeat Cowpea or Spam? (this is the point of "would you rather" - there is no right answer!) :) If you put dogmeat in your bass-o-matic, does it still taste like dogmeat? Throw some kitty-bits in there and I'm all over it!!

    p.s. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "slice of real-life China" photos... please keep them coming!

    Baby is cute, the light bulb thing depressing :(

    ReplyDelete