Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chinese Pageant Dress, Plus KTV Lights Up My Life

That Christmas Pageant Andrew and I are hosting? Turns out it's a much bigger production than I anticipated. We'll be doing the introduction and closing, as well as making commentary between each act. Watch out, Dick Clark??

Pageant hosting in China is a really big deal, so yesterday my school took me to a dress rental shop to find a ballgown length pageant dress to wear. We found a beautiful cranberry gown that actually fit me (I am a giant here), I was shocked. And happy. I love wearing beautiful dresses! It's being held outdoors and I can't wear a coat while I'm onstage, brrr, but even so, I'm pretty excited to get to wear the dress. (And because my gown is floor-length, I'm totally going to be rocking some legwarmers. Shhh...) Definitely a new experience in my Rebecca Life Handbook.

Btw, a cultural note: variety shows are extremely popular here, and the girls who host the shows on tv are known for being charming and beautiful. If you are a variety show hostess on tv, you have probably the same cachet as a flight attendant in the 1960's in America. It's a very interesting subculture of Chinese culture, and I'm still trying to understand why they are so popular. At any given time on local tv, you can find a pageant or variety show.

So anyway, I'm sure you want to know more about my dress, right? It's a heavy, thick, satin-type material in deep cranberry with silver embroidery details. Here's the hemline (the red is the lining, it won't show when I'm wearing it):



Here's a shot of the bodice detail:



We'll take some proper pictures that night, I'm sure. I have to wear four inch heels to keep the hem from dragging too much, good thing I've been doing my foot yoga high heel practice. And as I told Andrew, I'll so be wearing hand warmers in my underwear, ha. (Note: I have since learned this is a bad idea, it burns. Nixing this.)

Two of my students will be on stage to translate for the audience, a girl and a guy, and they get to dress up too. Here is her dress. How cute is she?




We had a lot of fun picking out the dresses. If my life were a movie, it would have been a great montage scene.

Last night we had a birthday party for one of the T.'s, and I shot a short video while we were performing to Prince's "Cream" at karaoke, known locally as KTV. I watched it today, and my first thought was, "Why did we think it was a good idea to leave the strobe lights on in our room all night? Hello, epilepsy!" On the other hand, it kept us awake. I love that you can do all night karaoke here. Hope you've all had a good weekend!

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful dresses! I hope you post pics of the event...because it sounds like it will be quite a show!!

    All-night strobe lights?? That would drive me insane!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny...I love your flight attendant/hosting comparison.
    I think you should make a video montage of your life...I would totally enjoy this.
    The dresses are lovely!!!Leg warmers? Warmers in your undies? Just get some long-johns and be done with it.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a true princess! Awe! Dazzling moments like these don't come every day so soak it UP, beautiful lady!

    Can't wait to see photos and GOOD LUCK!! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the detail on that dress looks great. I cant wait to see the rest of the pics. Congrats on having such a high honor to host. It should be a blast!

    I think the hand warmer comment was funny - sounds like you are speaking from a painful place since trying it before huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress, but can you wear a cardigan? brrrr...

    ReplyDelete