Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Toilet Paper Prom Dresses

These are a few of my students. Top picture: Dana, William, Michael, Peter, Arabella. Next picture: Long, Autumn, Sin and Prince. (Yes, they choose their own English names. There is no such thing as a "traditional" name in Chinese, anything goes, so they do the same in English. I have a student named "Little Mosquito," too.) And look at the size of Autumn, now you know why I can't buy any clothes and shoes here! I am an Amazon woman over here. 

Anyway, the point of this post, one of the English tasks my students had to do this week was collaberate to make a prom dress out of toilet paper. There is nothing like the Prom here, so they enjoyed learning about it. This task was the final part of the lesson, to practice giving commands and instructions in English. Here are a few pictures I took of the students hard at work. I was pretty impressed, they did these in about 15 minutes. And because Chinese students are not encouraged to be creative, it's not easy for them to do these tasks.  Interestingly, the best dresses were designed by the guys. There is some untapped potential over here! 

 India, Eleven, Vickie, Danney

No comments:

Post a Comment