Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chinese Medicines

One of my favorite things to do these days is go to a pharmacy and just walk around and look at all the products. A lot of them have English translations, like the one I saw today, 'Kangaroo Essence.' I had never heard of taking kangaroo essence before, so I googled it. They extract if from kangaroo testicles and it's supposed to give you energy and fix your immune system. Hmmm...I'm leaving that one on the shelf. You can also buy sheep extract, I assume it's the same sort of thing.  They also sell animal placenta, I think it's supposed to keep your skin looking young. Air quotes animal air quotes. I don't want to know. 

I think most things here won't hurt you, but they won't help you either. I did buy a potion that is supposed to relax you for sleeping. It tastes terrible!  But it does make me feel rather relaxed. I wonder if there's opium in it. Grandpa (a pharmacist) used to give us opium cough medicine, so I feel okay about taking it for medicinal purposes. :) 

I did buy some acne cream today, and the packaging said it also kills acuras. I had never heard of acuras before, but thanks to google I now know they are little mites that can get in your skin. EW. But I put the cream on my face anyway and my skin is super soft and shiny now. So whatever it is, it's all good. 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, that sounds like what I need for these little buggers that keep cropping up. Some ancient chinese secret in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ww, I will try to find the name brand again, as I already threw the packaging away. Maybe someone imports it and you could have it shipped to you?

    Techno, I feel the same way. The sleeping potion I bought is all herbs. I have a feeling though that this face stuff is some straight up Retin A in a tube!

    ReplyDelete