Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Perspective

Here is an essay one of my students wrote this week:

"I was lived in a poor village when I was a child. There was only one school in our village. It was so poor. It is said that it was left by a rich man. He made it as a school for all these children. It consisted [of] four rooms. The time I studies at this school almost all the windows were broken. There was no chairs. We must bring chairs to school every morning. So my mom and dad made a small one for me. I would bring my bag with books and a chair to school. It was not convenient to take a chair with me because I was so small to carry it. So my dad lined it on my back and ask my teacher to loose it. One day it was rain heavily. I must take a umbrella with me. It too hard to walk on the narrow road. So I skinned into the water. Because the chair on my back, the legs of chair into earth. I can't stand up. The whole body include head all in water. I said, "Help, help!" The water flow into my nose and mouth. I'm lucky because someone helped me at last." 

This little essay just broke my heart. I was trying to imagine wanting to go to school so much you carry your own chair everyday. And I am sure it was too hot, and too cold, in that classroom too, with no windows. Sometimes I feel like I gave up a lot to be here, but whatever my sacrifice is, it is nothing compared to what this girl has gone through to get an education. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that is absolutely amazing. In so many ways, we are lucky. Thanks for sharing that. It make my education so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca,

    I just love when you share these stories. Motivates us to put into perspective what truly matters and what does not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a sad story. Really makes you think.

    ReplyDelete