Thursday, March 19, 2009

Five Books Worth Reading

When people find out I was an English major, they often ask me what my favorite book is. I kinda hate this question. Would I be an English major if I had just one favorite book? No. I'm here reading 6 books a week because I love reading all kinds of books. So, in no particular order, five books I think are worth reading: 

1. An American Childhood, by Annie Dillard.  Non-fiction, autobiographical. I had to read this book for AP English my senior year of high school and it is still one of my favorite comfort books. It's a memoir of her childhood in Pittsburg, and she writes about the way in which our views of life change and grow as we age. The best word I can think of to describe this book is 'charming.' 

2. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach. Non-fiction. The title explains it well: it's a book about all the things dead bodies do, from medical school labs to car crash testing to forensic science. It's not creepy, I promise. It made me appreciate what we have learned about live bodies as the result of studying dead bodies. Kudos to those who have donated their bodies for these types of research.  

3.  High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby. Fiction. This is one of the few modern fiction books I read for pleasure. I've read this book countless times on cross country airplane trips, quiet hotel rooms, and crowded airport gates. I wish they printed a small version that fits in my purse. There's a movie, so I won't explain much about the plot except to say: the novel is set in London, and it's better than the movie. 

4. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley. Fiction. I studied in British Romanticism in college, so I might be biased, but this book is a must-read for anyone interested in the tension between technology, science and human consciousness. It's a snapshot of a nature vs. nurture debate we might still have today. The monster is tragic; this book is incredibly sad, not scary. I might have shed a few tears while reading it. Who of us at times has not felt like the Monster? Forget all the movies and knockoffs, read the original.  

5. We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive, by Laurie Notaro. Non-fiction, Autobiographical. Bathtub reading at it's best. She makes me feel like I am not alone in my dorky world. Her books can be a bit uneven, but when she hits it, she is a delight. 

Honorable Mention: 

Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy. When pressed, I admit this is my favorite book. But, who doesn't love this book? It's pretty lame if it's your favorite, but there you go. 

Billions and Billions, by Carl Sagan. I love science books. This one is elegant and artistic and beautiful. I wish Carl had been my friend. 

The Thornbirds, by Colleen McCullough. My ultimate guilty pleasure book. More bathtub reading. This book is DRAMA. It's all beautiful people, Irish passion, Australian temper and repressed sex. Awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment