Thursday, March 26, 2009

Food and Marines



I've noticed when I watch American movies, television shows, etc., I pay a lot of attention to what people are eating. Attention as in, "Oh, that hamburger looks good! Wait, what did she just say? Oh, pizza too!  Yum..." and I have no idea what the plot is or what's going on because I am transfixed by the food.

Even foods that appear to be the same, sodas, chips, etc., have different flavors and formulas. Don't get me wrong, it's fun trying new things, but I miss *my* food sometimes.
Here is one example of how much I miss it: one of the volunteers here in Chongqing plays rugby with some other expats. They play against an expat team in Chengdu (about four hours away) and THAT team is made up of marines stationed at the U.S. consulate in Chengdu; they guard the consolate. I told him I would come to watch one of his games as long as it was against Chengdu.  He was teasing me about wanting to date a marine, but I was thinking that maybe a marine could get me American Diet Coke from the commissary! I still think it could happen. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Tell me about it... still remember the two years I spent in Germany in the early 90's and how I missed my North American peanut butter, doritos, sliced cheese, cheerios... they had awesome food but no cheetos! wtf! LOL

    I say date that guy and get your coke :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally know what I'm talking about! It's the little things you miss, and it seems especially the little junk foods.

    I'll give it my best shot. :)

    ReplyDelete