Sunday, April 26, 2009

What Passes for Sun in The Chonx

A shot of the daytime skyline in Chongqing, or as we call it 'The Chonx.'  No, that isn't a storm or fog, it's pollution. Because the sun's rays can't penetrate the pollution, the sun rarely shines here. The Peace Corps provides us with in-home air purifiers, so it's all good, unless you want to go outside; then it's headaches, coughing, and blowing black stuff out of your nose. I run outside here, but not more than three miles or so at a time. I miss long distance running.

Two years here shouldn't hurt us long-term, but I worry about the kids growing up here.

5 comments:

  1. Was just speaking with a friend about coal etc, and as you know, China still uses it big time, hence that lovely fog. Other than the fact I wouldn't be allowed into China due to association, I cannot imagine having to live there on the long term, inhaling that smog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks grim. I wonder what it does to the health of everyone longterm. I am glad you are not there for years on end, but I am sure you would love fresher air back in the States to run your runs. Do you wear a mask when you run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that doesn't look fun. I would go nuts not having some direct sunlight like that. I am sure you will really appreciate the sun when you move back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. myself, I often feel like living in China right now must be close to what it was like living in NYC during the Industrial Revolution.

    It's just me-- I don't, but that's a good idea, thanks. I'll have to look for some masks and try it out. People are staring at me anyway!

    Trina, you are soooo right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fainting is a good way to deal with it! Less air intake! :D

    ReplyDelete