Sunday, April 5, 2009

Treats, Chinese style

Someone gave me American brownie mix for my birthday. We don't have regular ovens, so I had to make them in my toaster oven. I made four little pans in total. I got the little pans at the "western" grocery store. They were expensive, but worth it. The Chinese don't bake, everything is fried or boiled. I've never seen a full size oven here, and I'm pretty sure only the foreigner apartments have toaster ovens. I've learned to cook pretty well with very few appliances, though. I have a microwave, the toaster oven, a rice cooker and a hot plate. I hardly ever use the hot plate, as it has two settings: high and off. But the rice cooker is very handy, it automatically shuts off when the juice is done so nothing ever burns. I make dumplings and veggie curry in it all the time.

And, this is a sucker someone gave me for my birthday. The gristle part was the candy, kind of like a blow pop. Yummm...gristle candy!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, so glad you are still doing this. And, that sucker, is so gross!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get enough of your adventures, photos and tales! LOL at the lolly... how tasty were those brownies, btw?

    ps: the snacking fishies... no thanks. evar. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing as how they don't have brownies in China, they were AWESOME. :) But I have very low standards these days for food.

    Thanks for letting me know it wasn't getting boring, I am glad you like hearing about it. I am never quite sure when I am boring people to death by talking about China.

    ReplyDelete