Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Have A Rest"

Resting is extremely important in Chinese culture. There is a standard two hour break everyday for lunch and resting. It's kinda of awesome, until I want to get something done during those two hours, and then it's frustrating. (Spoken like a true Westerner.) I recently did a lesson with my students about sickness and gave them a list of ailments to provide remedies for. Almost all of them included the advice to "have a rest." I have gotten notes from students explaining that they missed class because they needed to have a rest. It's a very cultural thing that every day, you should rest.

In fact, here is how prevalent it is: at the hot springs we went to yesterday, the building had two large, dark rooms filled with oversize recliners and foot rests, pillows, down blankets, and a small flat screen tv for each chair. At any time during the day, you could come in from the spa pools and "have a rest." It was awesome!  The dressing room attendant gave you a plastic bag for your wet bathing suit, gave you some dry spa clothes to wear, and you could eat fresh fruit and have a rest before heading back to the spa pools. No extra charge. I slept for about a half an hour after lunch, then went back outside. And that was very "Western" of me, most people stayed longer. Most offices I've seen have a long couch for sleeping, and our teacher's room couch is always occupied during lunch. So even if you work away from home, you can still have a nap at work.

I am going to come back to America and feel like my hour lunch break is very, very short! And I am going to want a place to take a nap when I am out all day working/playing.

3 comments:

  1. i've been trying to convince people on doing that very thing for years. but you are right it is a cultural thing. We had the same experience in the philippines, during the lunch time, 2 hours or so, no work, even early evenings. no one will see us or schedule us. it took me time to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK that is one thing that makes me like China then! LOL!

    What I would give for an afternoon nap at work... :-D

    ReplyDelete