Friday, June 4, 2010

Mysterious Letter H, And How I’m Losing It

The Sichuan* accent of Mandarin is famous for dropping the ‘h’ in the consonant combos ‘sh’, ‘zh’ and ‘ch.’ They become ‘s’, ‘z’ and ‘ts’ respectively. When I started learning Mandarin, I swore I would never drop my h’s! Never! Last winter, I noticed I was dropping my h’s. I was yi ping sui (yi ping shui - a bottle of water) and sang zoumo (shang zhoumo - last weekend) and haotsi (haochi - delicious) –ing all over the place. Oh well, so much for my pure Mandarin.

But then…last weekend at dinner…I said, “I really love sellfish.” SHELLFISH, I MEAN. I got a good laugh out of it, but it’s a little scary that I’m now pronouncing English with a Sichuan accent, as well as Mandarin. Maybe it’s a good thing I’m leaving China soon. My English is crap.

I’ve also noticed there are some things I like to say in English, other things in Spanish, and some things in Chinese. For example, I sent T. a text that said, “Tu quieras 吃饭吗?”(“Do you want to eat?”) I’ve also told him in a text, “中人 be loco!” (“Chinese people are crazy,” in response to everyone still wearing their coat on a warm day, while we are in shorts and shirtsleeves.) I like that I can choose which language to use; I’m going to miss that about talking to other volunteers, we switch it up all the time. Some things are just easier to say in Chinese or Spanish than in English.

*Chongqing used to be in Sichuan province, until it separated into its own municipality a few years ago. So the people here have the Sichuan accent.

6 comments:

  1. That is too funny that you're dropping the H in English words too now. I wish I had the ability to switch languages as easily as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So silly.
    Just imagine, if you move to NYC...you will have to add in a heavy NY accent with your chinese/spanish.
    That will not be pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not many people can converse in mutiple languages. Its great that you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sellfish...that's funny! I sometimes have an accent speaking English when I'm around my Spanish or Italian friends. I know what you mean, though, about things being easier in another language other than English. I'm still trying to find a good translation for the word, "confianza." It doesn't just mean trust, it's confidence and familiarity all wrapped up in one word. I love it but I can't translate it in one English word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROTF! that could get pretty funny, Rebecca...

    "how do you take your coffee?"
    "with ss-ugar and milk please"

    :-o

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so funny! You're creating your own special little language... kind of reminds me of elementary school when my BFF and I got SOOO fluent in Pig Latin we could speak super fast. Silly. (But fun.) :)

    ReplyDelete