Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Danny Zuko and the Power of the Red Leather Dress

Sometimes I wonder where I get my ideas about which men are attractive and worth investing in, and then I remember: Danny Zuko. *shaking my fist in his general direction*

danny

I was but an impressionable five year old when I first saw Grease. My dad bought me the album at our base PX, and I might or might not have secretly kissed his picture on it a few times.

grease-soundtrack1

Danny was THE boyfriend I wanted when I grew up, cocky attitude and all. I blame him for any poor dating choices I’ve made over the years.  And the fact I don’t mind guys who smoke cigarettes perhaps as much as I should. Also, my love of tight leather pants; but Sandy was right: they ALWAYS WORK.

I also remember having a huge crush on Mr. Ice Castles himself, Robby Benson. Sort of like Danny Zuko, but after being rolled about in cotton candy and sugar sprinkles. A little toooo sweet, if you know what I mean. But my 10 year old self thought he was bees knees.

benson

robby benson

But it does seem as though Olivia Newton-John and I have the same taste in men, because I found this video on YouTube, and oh man, I GOTTA GET ME A RED LEATHER DRESS! This video is almost 30 years old? And I would still lick all manner of things off that guy. I guess tastes don’t change so much over the years.

(And yes, I know this has nothing to do with China. I like to indulge my non-Chinese life now and then, too.)

8 comments:

  1. I loved John Travolta...still do, but the guys who act cockey and full of themselves turn me off. Robby Benson was my hero. LOVED him in Ice Castles and my friends and I used to imitate him (recite) his lines from "Ode to Billy Joe," the part about his white shoes and why or why they didn't attract snakes. lol It's been many, many years!

    The little red leather dress is the little black dress's sexy cousin...gotta have one of those in your closet as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 10 years old I saw a picture of Jim Morrison in the newspapers and immediately I had this huge crush on him. I started buying records of the Doors, hang a poster of him in my room... I was passionately "in love". And when I asked my brother when he would tour and come to the Netherlands, my brother replied: "Never... he died a few months ago in Paris.." Guess what the picture was about in the newspapers...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, *he* does look like those cuties.
    I think we ALL had a crush on Danny Zucko, he was a bad ass and then he also had that sweet vulnerability too.

    I just about wore out my album too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it was the Karate Kid. I totally had the hots for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent many years crushing hard on John Travolta and Patrick Swayze (my mom loved Dirty Dancing). To this day I'm not a fan of blonde haired men and I prefer my guys with a bit of an edge to them. Ha, I never thought of my preference for men today as linking to my childhood crushes but they really do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tight leather pants are only yummy if done well and on the right butt! LOL

    I'm sure you look ravishing in a pair, reeeeeeeeeerrr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha I'm grading my students' journals for video. They HATE Danny Zucko. "he has no moral values I cannot believe this movie."
    "In high school all we did was studying for the college entrance examination and teachers and parents were watching us like eagles. We had no right to fall in love."

    You should totally show Grease to your students :)
    Mathilde

    ReplyDelete